Monday, May 24, 2010
Hope your weekend was fun and artful. I took a short class on Copic markers on Saturday. The class was fun, and informative. I haven't used Copics in the past, so it will be fun to add another medium to my art. I did another painting, in between cleaning/reorganizing my sewing room. The canvas is 11x14, very large for me, but I wanted to get out of my comfort zone.
The birds were done by tracing them from black and white enlarged images from a Dover clip art book. Once traced, I adhered them to the painted canvas, and then painted them using acrylic paints. I added more collage pieces and once dry covered the piece with Goldens' self leveling gel. You may not be able to see it from the photo, but some of the collaged papers buckled under the leveling gel....UGH! Perhaps next time I will wait a day or so after adding collage pieces to make sure the piece is totally dry before adding the leveling gel. I really prefer a wood surface to canvas, and will use that surface next, hoping to avoid the buckling. BTW the piece was painted with Goldens' Violet Magenta, but the photo makes it appear reddish.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Saturday, May 15, 2010
I have been working on two collage paintings, one on wood and one on canvas. I dind't start the paintings at the same time, so I was surprised to see that I had used the same color both times. They both are a bit darker than I usually paint, but I think they came out fairly well. These two paintings are a result of the Complex Collage class offered by Julie Pritchard and Chris Cozen on Lost Luggage Network.
Saturday, May 8, 2010
Sunday, May 2, 2010
If your art stash is anything like mine, you have things you have purchased and forgot that you have. Or worse still you have items that you have lost interest in until you have an Aha moment. The Stampbord coasters were a"find" while I was doing some spring cleaning. Stampbord is a great surface for Tangles! I did a set of four coasters and I also have a Stampbord box for them. I posted the box top several weeks ago, but held off on sharing the coasters because there were a few uh oh moments. Once the Tangles were completed, I sprayed them with a fixative. My error on one of them was not giving it time to dry before picking it up, thus the smear on the bottom left. Then I decided I wanted to color them with Stampbord ink. I tried the ink on the one that was already a bit messed up, and didn't like the color so much, so I decided to stick with the originals.