Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Down but not out

Today I am moving a bit slowly, because I have a sinus infection. I've had it for about a week, and hope the worst is over. When I am not feeling well or feeling down, I always go back to an activity that soothes me. It is quilting, and believe it or not, it is traditional quilting. I love the log cabin block and have made quilts with different variations of this block for years. I must say that although I love mixed media, it doesn't come as easily to me a sewing or quilting does. Perhaps that is because I have sewn since I was a teenager, and although sewing is not mindless for me, it is comforting. My quilts are very lively, because I LOVE bright fabrics. The blocks for this quilt are scraps from other quilts I have made. I never throw my scraps away until they are too small to do anything with. Needless to say a have a large scrap basket. I am making a king size quilt, so I have a LOT of blocks to make. Hopefully when I feel better I won't abandon the quilt to get back to my paintings, and journal.

Well, I'm off to take a nap.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Nice quilt...I never got into quilting. My mom made some. She did not quit but she did all the piecing (sewing the squares together etc) and then had a friend hand quit the finished product. I have some unfinished tops that need to be quilted together.
Love your work.
Saw you took Pam's visual journalism class too.
Loved it.